The CrossFit Open is the largest community event of the year. CrossFit affiliates from all around the world partake in this 5 week competition. Each week, athletes from every gym get to workout with each other, and compete against the best in the sport of CrossFit. These 5 weeks are a time of community, PR’s, and ultimately a celebration of fitness!
The 2018 Open at Angel Oak CrossFit will be no different! It will be centered around building and growing our community, all while celebrating our fitness and the hard work each one of you has put in this past year. Of course, the Open will present new challenges. Challenges that you might not think you could have accomplished before. But with the help and support of your community, you will be surprised at what you are truly capable of! Instead of the Open being 5 weeks of stress and constant “leaderboarding,” we are striving to create 5 weeks of community and fun!
Angel Oak CrossFit will be doing a team format for the Open this year. We are absolutely pumped about this! Depending on how many athletes sign-up, we are hoping to have 4-5 teams of 4-5 athletes. We decided to do this team format for our very first Open to bring everybody closer as a community and focus on the bigger picture: striving to do your very best, and not comparing yourself to others.
Here’s how it will work!
There will be a mini draft, where teams will be chosen at random by drawing participant names from a hat. From there we will group each team together and notify everybody of their teammates. We only have a couple of rules for each team:
- Each team will need to elect a captain (somebody to speak for your team and be a liaison to Megan and James)
- Each team will have it’s own private FB group (we will provide group creation instructions)
- Each team will come up with it’s own team name and mascot (by 18.1)
- Each team member will need to have their own personal FB and Instagram accounts (these can be deleted after the Open if you want to remain off the internets)
Now, you might be asking yourself, “what’s the point of teams and how does my team win?” The teams are a way for each one of us to stay accountable to each other, and to ourselves. It is your own support group! Your FB group is a place to ask for help with certain movements, or plan when you guys will be doing the workouts together. You and your teammates will work together throughout the next 5 weeks to gain points each week.
Now for the fun stuff!!
We will be making each weekly workout an event- Friday Night Lights! This will be an awesome, jam packed evening of team building, working out, and community! Of course, if your schedule does not allow you to attend the workout on Friday night, we will accommodate you so that it is completed before the 8pm deadline the following Monday. Each FNL will have a Theme attached with it (think, “Western Night” etc). This will be your team’s opportunity to show unity and spirit to the other teams by dressing up accordingly. Points will be given for each team that adheres to the Theme, and has 80% or more of their team present at each FNL.
Additionally, each week of the Open will have a Challenge. The Challenge for the week will be released the Sunday before that week’s workout, and you will have until Saturday at 8:00pm to participate in the Challenge. For example, 18.1 is released on Thursday (Feb 22nd). We will release the first Challenge this Sunday (Feb 18th), and you will have until Saturday (Feb 24th) to complete the Challenge. Each individual who completes the challenge will earn points for their team, in addition to team point possibilities (this is why everyone needs a FB/IG). We will keep an overall tally of points, and rank teams after each week. Earning points for the Challenge is super simple! You must individually 1) post you completing the Challenge to FB/IG, and 2) tag your post with #AOCFOpen2018, #YourTeamName, and @angeloak_cf. That’s it! Each Challenge may be weighted differently, and each team member gets points for their post to help your team’s total!
- Each athlete will be placed on a team, and each team will create its own FB group and come up with a team name and mascot
- We will be doing each Open workout at Friday Night Lights!
- Each week will have its own Theme- team points are earned if the team adheres to the Theme, and 80% or more of your team is present at FNL
- Each week will have its own Challenge- released the Sunday before that week’s workout, and can be completed until the Saturday after the workout is released
- Scoring system (ways to earn points):
- 80% or more of your team is present at FNL (+3 points for your team)
- Your team adheres to the Theme (+2 points for your team)
- You individually complete the Challenge by the Saturday of that week- must post to FB/IG and tag your post with #AOCFOpen2018, #YourTeamName, @angeloak_cf (+1-5 points per teammate)
- Head-to-Head Duel- if one team member calls out a team member from a rival team, workout must be completed together at the same time (+1 point for each team, +3 points for winning team)
- Spirit of the Open Award – voted upon and announced at 18.5 (+10 points for your team)